Monday, January 27, 2003

I’m watching le Mépris. It is called ‘Contempt’ in the vulgar tongue. It comes from the French New Wave in the early 60’s. It stars Brigitte Bardot. Early in the film we see her nude back and buttocks. She is in bed, a man is near her. I wish I had the suits and dresses the actors wear in this film. So wonderful and bright, they reflect Europe in 1963. Fritz Lang is both an actor and himself in this film. I last spoke of the Seventh Seal, a film that throws back to the 1920’s in its stark visage. This film, in contrast, has digested the earlier voices and visions rather than throwing back to them. Quentin Tarantino must have seen this piece. Godard put posters for his other films in the background of several shots, as Quentin draws several lines of continuity through his films, (the radio station, character names, etc.) His style, much like I would like mine to be if I produced more than one-offs, is digestion. Godard tells a wonderful story and creates a world for us but in someone else’s context. I would make the connection to Rap, singing over someone else’s riff. I hinted in my post about the Seventh Seal that not everyone will watch these things. I’ve received extremely negative (almost violent) responses to my recommendations of films like this. I guess most people just want to watch things go boom.

No comments:

Insert bad joke here.