Saturday, December 18, 2004

I’ve had Three Lortabs, some Pringles, and a Pepsi and I’m still not quite ready for the day. What the hell happened this week? My last post was last Sunday so either I haven’t done anything or I was too fucking busy to write about it. I don’t remember doing much on Monday or Tuesday, but I had to work those days so what could I have done? Wednesday, I got a ride to Pet Smart and Lee’s. We got a huge back of guinea pig litter and about $80 worth of booze. I thought Pet Smart was closing at 9pm, but my ride didn’t IM me till about 9:10. She’d found out it was open late for the holidays so we were lucky. Why would a pet store be open late for the holidays? Buying a pet for Christmas seems really lame to me. I think buying a pet should be a more deliberate act rather than some spurious “I want a pony” thing. Buy a pet only after talking about it and making sure your kid can take care of it. (That reminds me, I still have to change my pigs’ litter!) We made it to Lee’s (which also closes at 10) just before closing. I usually just stock up on Newcastle since it’s so cheap there. If I were to grab too much else I’d be broke quick. I did get some wine (two bottles of Australian Shiraz and one merlot,) a bottle of Framboise, a bottle of Old Growler, and a 12 pack of Honey Brown for Ian. My ride picked up a tiny bottle of Belvedere vodka for some strange reason. I guess it’s intended for decoration. Paying $4 for a shot of vodka seems harsh to me, even if it’s good vodka and only intended for decoration. I guess it’ll look good in the Barbie mansion or something. Back home, we split the Framboise and she took out my piggies. I don’t know what it is about women and pets. They start making high pitched squeals and speaking in baby-talk while they cuddle small mammals. Perhaps it’s the mother instinct or something; but my roommate does it too. I threw on the television for some background noise. I didn’t feel like putting on a film, even though we need to finish watching Say Anything. AbFab came on BBC America. I’ve seen every episode so many times, even if I lost the box set in the separation agreement; I’ve still got them memorized. Surprisingly, my company had never seen it before. I wonder how much of my media saturation is due to my age. She isn’t that much younger than I am, but still. The next day, Danielle came over and we shared some of the Shiraz. I wonder about women again; this time not about squealing over small furry animals but about wine. Why do women prefer wine, cider, etc. over simple beer or liquor? I know, beer is fattening and liquor can be difficult to drink. Whatever, we drink Shiraz. She leaves with Ian for some Thai food. I decline their invitation. Kathy was coming over and I didn’t feel like trying Thai food anyway. Kathy and I have some more of the wine then head to the Dispensary on Tropicana and Eastern for a customer appreciation holiday celebration. Open bar and a buffet for two hours. We stay for a cocktail and I have some mashed potatoes and a roll. It was a simple buffet so that was the only vegetarian stuff that I felt like eating. The whiskey sour I got was as strong as I’d make it at home. I’d never been in there before, but I think I’ll go back at some point. Kathy says she goes for chicken wings on occasion. It seems like an older crowd, but who knows what it’s like on the weekends. I’m so lazy I normally just wind up at Cheers since it’s the closest. I forget that Favorites, the Dispensary, Play of the Day, Moose’s, and the rest are even around. Although, apart from the Frog I don’t think I’d like the other bars. After that, Ian and I went to Sacrilege. I wound up getting drugged out of my head and making a fool out of myself yet again, but my friends took care of me. Sometimes I wish they’d tell me I’m being an ass or that I look ridiculous rather than just take care of me. It might make me stop being so out of it. Somehow I managed to make it to work the next day, I don’t know how I’m still able to function after all I put my body through. Of course the bus was late. I think that happens just to spite me; on the days that it takes the most strength to not call in sick or late, the bus doesn’t show up. To make up for the abuse a bit, I only had two beers last night. I wound up crashing on the couch under a sleeping bag with the television on. Ian came stumbling in at around 3:30 or 4. Relationship problems drove him from Cheers to a titty bar. His voice was too loud for me (as it often is, I don’t think he hears himself) so I grabbed the sleeping bag and went to bed. Since I’d fallen asleep sometime between 1 and 2, I had a rather leisurely sleep. I sort of woke up at around 6 or 7, sweating under the sleeping bag. I really need to buy one, they’re so warm. It reminded me of being under Melissa’s blankets in Santa Cruz. The morning light diffused by coastal fog and clouds, the huge pile of soft, warm blankets over two nude bodies and the improvised huge bed (two twin extra-longs pushed together after she got a free upgrade to a “super single” when her roommate went psycho.) She asked me how I didn’t suffocate when I pulled all the blankets over me to blot out the light. I don’t quite understand it myself; I just don’t like the sunlight, especially when I’m in bed. I think when I get a few extra dollars I’m going to buy some better bedding.

No comments:

Insert bad joke here.