Friday, January 16, 2004

Was Jesus silent in the court of Pilate? Matthew tells us he stood quiet.

Matthew 27:13-14
"Then Pilate asked him, "Don't you hear the testimony they are bringing against you?" 1But Jesus made no reply, not even to a single charge--to the great amazement of the governor."

John tells us that Jesus had a lot to say.

John 18:33-37, 19:11
33Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"
34"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"
35"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"
36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."
37"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.
Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."
---
11Jesus answered, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."

I would have been a little pissed off and have a lot to say, but I don't know which version makes for a better story.

No comments:

Insert bad joke here.