Sunday, November 20, 2005

One more story, while I’m in the mood. My close friend J is finishing his under-graduate work at UNLV this term and leaving to study in Russia soon, so we want to get in as much time together as we can. I’ve known him since 1998 and he’s one of my closest companions. He wanted to cook some perogies and watch a DVD, perhaps have some wine. Sunflower Market was out of perogies so he got a feta-spinach quiche, a baguette, and some Beaujolais. That boy knows how to get in my pants quick. We put the quiche in the oven, opened the Beaujolais and started watching Sideways. I don’t watch much contemporary cinema, but this film is a treat.

The week before, I was at J’s mother’s house for a meeting of the philosophy club. A beautiful Austrian woman was there, engaging us all in discussion. She asked me what films I watch. Of course I go down the list of silent German Expressionist and experimental Russian pieces that I love so much, but she challenges me to name something I’ve like that’s been made in the last five years. It takes me a few moments, but I remember that I just went to see 2046 and Grizzly Man and actually liked those.

It’s better that the store was out of perogies, my sink is clogged and avoiding dishes is for the best right now. The landlord brought over some professional cleaner after the Drain-o I got didn’t do the job. He’ll call a plumber if that doesn’t work. The quiche comes in its own pan, no oil or frying, just a little time in the oven. The film happens to be about a wine lover, so we have to talk about the Beaujolais some. It becomes spicier as it airs out; we pretentiously describe the flavor as if we know what we’re talking about.

The film is wonderful; I’m surprised. Then again, J is the man that gave me my copy of Begotten. He’s one of the few people I really get along with, even if we don’t have much time to connect.

Okay so you have three stories; the mountain, babysitting, and Beaujolais. I hope that’ll keep for a few days; while I make some more stories happen.

No comments:

Insert bad joke here.