Friday, October 24, 2003

Wow, feel so much better now.

I was getting testy at my friends as we were having trouble moving. We went to eat at Metro Pizza. I ordered a pitcher of Newcastle. My cohorts snidely commented that it was just for me. It was, really, but they drank some of it as well. They had huge pasta dishes that probably weighed more than I do while I stared down at a dinner salad. I got ranch dressing; even though I think I should be avoiding it, it's safe and easy.

We resumed moving. On the last load, I said that I would remain behind. We don't have internet access, TV, stereo, or even a working computer at the new place yet and I knew that I'd still be up for another 4 or 5 hours. When I got back in my apartment, I just sat down with a beer and tried to decompress. I remembered a piece of (snail) mail from the electric company. 48 hour disconnect. I look at the date on it, 10/24, today. I start to panic. I really don't want to get my power shut off again. I can sleep at the new place, I know, but I won't have anything that would keep me sane.

I felt so limp when my power was shut off before. The life and light of my home came to a screaming halt. One can live in a cabin without power, but not an apartment.

I wanted to run. Or to drink enough to put me to sleep quickly. Or to just sleep in the closet where it's dark and quiet. Instead, I put some beer in my backpack and head to the new apartment. It might be the St. John's Wort, but I managed some strength. I managed a plan. I'd call the electric company to get another day, then ask my new housemate to drive me to pay the bill before work tomorrow.

I make it to the new apartment, he isn't there. No panic, I set off to his partner's new apartment. It's just a block away. I lose my way (I don't know the area well.) I knock; she speaks through the door.

"Yes?"

"It's me"

"Give me a moment"

I guess she's putting on a shirt. I don't know why she needs to be modest. She opens the door, but just. I don't understand the posture. When someone I know knocks on my door, I open it wide and they come in, no matter how brief the visit.

I ask if he is here.

"He's gone to the new place"

"I must have just missed him on the road"

(We are both walking.) I go back to the new apartment and he is bathing. He doesn't notice my entrance. I step outside to smoke a clove. As I finish, he steps out of the bath. He startles at my entrance. I tell him about the bill.

"How much do you need?" He reaches for his wallet.

"I have enough to cover it, I just need to get it there"

I feel good that he would loan me the cash. I feel better that I don't need it. I just need a ride. His partner took claim of the car, however. He must be at work in 5 hours. He had said that he was calling in sick to work today, but now it seems that he will go in. I write a check and leave him the bill. His bus trip involves a layover near the electric company's office. He can pay it after work.

I leave to make the call to get an extension. The system is down. I return to tell Ian then leave for (my old) home. I drink some beer and chat with friends online. I finally call. It turns out that I have all day Friday to pay the bill and I won't get turned off until Saturday. So if the check gets to the office (I'm sure it will) I have no problem.

Busy day.

No comments:

Insert bad joke here.