Saturday, February 19, 2005

“Words as weapons, sharper than knives.”

I’m off Thursdays and Fridays now. This was the first time that Michelle stayed over on my days off. Last week she was in San Diego over those days. She came over on Wednesday night, I think. The days blend into one another. On Thursday, I woke up at about 11:00 and did some cleaning while she slept. She sleeps a lot, like 12 hours a day. My apartment was trashed from so much beer, cooking, and laziness. I spend about 3 hours taking out empty bottles (I really wish there were recycling facilities nearby) and dusting. She woke up about three hours later. We started drinking some wine and chatting. She passes out at about 21:00, after we demolished quite a bit of chardonnay. White wine is nasty. Awake for just a few hours and she’s already out of it. I wake her up at about midnight to check on her and we go back to the living room. Friday is about the same, with the addition of a viewing of Ju Dou. Being half Chinese, she’s seen a few Zhang Yimou films, but not this one. I don’t think this one is quite as good as Red Sorghum or Raise the Red Lantern, but it’s still good. Before it comes on, she asks if it’s a “woman’s film”. I don’t think she meant “chick flick” so I said yes, it is. It’s about a rather manipulative woman trying to get out of an abusive relationship. Zhang’s use of red and yellow is somewhat heavy handed but still wonderful (unfortunately the DVD is pan and scan, but it’s the only version that’s available.) We wind up at Cheers where we run into some casual friends and eat some nachos from Roberto’s. I felt bad about abandoning her for a few games of pool, but she had some company to talk to so it wasn’t so bad. When we got home, we started a more serious conversation. Relationships are always strange. No definite “rules of engagement” (to borrow a military phrase) have been established. I don’t know what to expect or what she wants. It goes okay; we come out of it unscathed. She was still there when I left for work tonight, so we’ll see what’s up later.

No comments:

Insert bad joke here.